It is enevitable as a beekeeper or just being around bees that you will at sometime or another get stung. When you have been stung, you should remove the sting asap by scraping the sting with your finger nail or hive tool – try not to squeeze it as this will just force in more venom. The normal reaction to a sting is for it to become itchy and swell up. The swelling may not happen straight away, it could even happen the following day, but is likely to last up to three days. If you have persistent pain around the area seek immediate medical advice.
Some people can have a severe reaction to being stung. Even one sting can be fatal. Read the attached leaflet produced by the British Beekeeper’s Association which gives general information and advice on dealing with bee stings.
Print a copy of this leaflet and keep it with you at all times.Download leaflet